Reporting healthcare fraud
Every year, you—and every other insured American—pay at least an extra $225* for healthcare because of fraud. For a family of four, that’s $900 each year. Just as important, healthcare fraud leads to distrust among hospitals, doctors, and patients.
By helping us prevent fraud, you're helping to reduce healthcare costs and protect the personal information of you and other members. We have three easy ways for you to report fraud:
- Email us – Please send us an email that includes:
- The name of the suspected doctor or member
- A description of the issue or incident
- The claim date and or date of service (if applicable)
- Call us – Call our confidential Anti-Fraud Hotline. You can leave an anonymous message 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 1-800-830-1444
- Report it online – You can fill out and submit an online form here and enter access id "BCRI".
*The $225 figure is based on estimates by the National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association, which conservatively estimates losses due to fraud at 3% of overall healthcare costs. Law enforcement agencies and other organizations estimate that the number could be as high as 10%.